|Near Kelso Scotland||| scottish borders ||
|| HOME | LOCATION | HISTORY | FACILITIES | CONTACT ||
Information on the village of Stichill, near Kelso in Scotland.
The Parish of Hume, which surrounded the Home family's seat at Hume Castle, was once one of the largest Parishes in Berwickshire. During the early 17th century, however, it lost a major part to Gordon Parish, and before 1610 had been united with Stichill.
The church at Hume, which was dedicated to St Nicholas, was closed in 1640, and worship transferred to the Stichill building. The remains of the church are now solely the outline of the foundations, which are in the graveyard. Beside these remains is the site of the burial vaults of the earls of Home, the Earl's Aisle.
The graveyard extension is still in use.
Back to: Articles about Adjacent Parishes