|Near Kelso Scotland||| scottish borders ||
|| HOME | LOCATION | HISTORY | FACILITIES | CONTACT ||
Information on the village of Stichill, near Kelso in Scotland.
The Parish Church is one of a type common in the 18th century, having been built in 1770, with some reconstruction in 1869.
The pulpit was placed in the centre of the south wall with galleries at each end of the church, the area being occupied by table seats and pews. The worshippers were uncomfortably seated, many of them presenting their backs to the minister. There was no accommodation for a choir or for the fitting celebration of the Lord's Supper.
A musty odour pervaded the building arising from the defective ventilation and the floor being laid upon the ground. The necessity of re-colouring the walls having arisen, the opportunity was taken to make structural and other alterations, with the object of beautifying the interior and of rendering it better adapted for the seemly worship of God.
Plans were prepared by James P Alison, Architect, of Hawick, and these having been approved by the Heritors, the church was closed on April 9th 1906 and the following alterations were effected:
The church was re-opened on Thursday November 9th 1906 by the Rev J Gordon Napier, Kelso Presbytery Moderatror; Rev John Burleigh, Presbytery Clerk; Rev Thomas MacReady Napier, Stitchel UF Church who conducted the service, the Sermon being preached by Rev Thomas Martin of Barony Parish, Glasgow. Rev John L Tulloch pronounced the Benediction. Mr Tulloch reported that the total cost of the renovation, exclusive of the adornment of the principals in the roof, amounted to £544.12s.6d. With £594.10s.9d. having been raised for the project, there remained a balance of £49.18s.3d.
The Session of Stichill Parish Church put on record the deep sense of gratitude to all who had so generously contributed to the renovation of the church, and especially the recognition of the indefatigable labours of Mr Tulloch, their Minister, by whom the scheme was originated, and the very valuable assistance given by Mr Deuchar, including the ornamentation of the roof, executed at his sole expense.
Back to: Articles